260721 IVE Show What I Am Concert in Toronto Personal Journal

I bought the VIP package that included the sound check and the Hi-Bye event. Sound check was what I expected but Hi-Bye was very disappointing. I'll never again do Hi-Bye. It was all done by just a bit after 11 pm.

Before the concert 

Sound check started at 6 pm but instructions were emailed the afternoon before concert day stating that if arrive after 5:45 pm then one would miss the event. As soon as I got to the venue (Scotiabank Arena), I looked for the VIP entrance and the security directed me to the premium entrance. There, I had my ticket in the Google Wallet (Ticketmaster didn't work properly on my old Samsung A10 so I registered my ticket on a newer phone) scanned by the security guard outside the entrance. Once entered, my Eco-bag (the venue had bag size restrictions so I brought a fold-able one and many fans did that also) was searched and went through the metal detector. I received the small gift package. I noticed that people had VIP lanyards hanging around their necks so I took it out of my gift pack and put it on. There were long lineups and I was rushed to join. As I was in line, I feared that I wouldn't be able to eat (dinner) and stay until the end of the concert but my worries were alleviated as I could freely roam after the sound check. The sound check was as expected. Business as usual for the girls and they tried their best to please the fans who gave them attention. I didn't expect that people would stand up for the whole sound check though so I was forced to stand as well. At around 6:30 pm, I got out and looked for a place to eat in the arena. I wanted Japanese food at Kibo but it was closed and despite the staff saying that it'll open later, I didn't have the patience and settled for Pizza Pizza. We weren't allowed to bring food into the concert area so the water bottle lid needed to be open.

During the concert 

It was supposed to start at 8 pm but it was actually 8:15 pm. The VIP seats provided a good close distance to see the girls well. The girls looked like dolls, and they looked so thin and small somehow. Due to strong lighting and stage makeup, Wonyoung's straight nose line was a bit too pronounced (as it was for others). Every time there was a performance, people stood up on the floor level so I was forced to stand as well; I practically stood for the whole concert. The seats were right next to each other so it lacked personal space and as a result uncomfortable as being seated awkwardly made the left side of my back in pain. Despite the negatives, the performances were fun as expected. I was pleasantly surprised by Liz's English skills. She even did her (scripted) ending speech all in English. The girls looked like they wanted to please the fans; it didn't look like they hated it but they looked like they were doing a job. They might also be shy because it was their first time in Canada. They didn't go out to the aisles of different floors and just stayed on stage for the whole concert.

Hi-Bye Event

We VIPs were waiting in the lounge that took longer than expected as it turned out that the IVE members were changing into another outfit; I thought that they'd show up with their encore outfits. The staff vehamently stressed that there's no filming of the girls and you should keep your phone in your pocket. When it was time to see them on the way out, what I saw was that they were a bit distant and stuck in some dark spot where there was a table in front of them as if they're an exhibit so it was hard to see them clearly. They didn't look content and gave me an awkward smile when I said bye-bye to them. And that was it. Done in a flash. Never doing this again. If send-off tickets sell out then I'd rather be on the upper floors in front where I can sit for the whole concert.

Comments